Open to all artists residing in the United States.
Gallery Underground, 2120 Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA 22202
August 2 – 27, 2021
Deadline to enter: 5PM EST Monday, June 28, 2021
Juried by: Lois Ward Wolford
$500 in cash prizes awarded
The Pop Art Movement challenged traditional fine art values and brought art based on popular culture and everyday items into the mainstream. Gallery Underground announces a call to artists for a juried art exhibition seeking interpretation of the theme “Magic of the Ordinary.” It is typical of the ordinary and everyday to be overlooked, as it can be seen as commonplace or dull. However, magic can be found in the ordinary when it is interpreted as art. Artists are invited to look beyond and turn the ordinary into extraordinary.
R E Q U I R E M E N T S:
All media accepted. Digital Entries accepted online only at: https://magicoftheordinary.artcall.org
Entry fee: $35 for up to 2 digital Images – jpeg format only, 72 or 300 dpi, not larger than 1,000 pixels on the longest side. The entry fee is NON-REFUNDABLE. By applying to the show, the artist acknowledges that the fee is nonrefundable. Before entering, artists should ensure that work is available to exhibit during the dates of the show (remove work from all shows, galleries, and online sales sites upon entering).
C A L E N D A R:
Entry Deadline: 5pm EST Monday, June 28, 2021
Notifications to artists: Week of July 28, 2021
Receiving: 10am-12pm EST Saturday, July 31, 2021
Exhibit opens: 10am EST Monday, August 2, 2021
Reception (if held), Awards Ceremony: 5pm to 7pm EST Friday, August 6, 2021
Exhibition closes: 6pm EST Friday, August 27, 2021
Pickup of work: 10am-12PM EST Saturday, August 28, 2021
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
- A maximum of two entries per artist is permitted ($35 for up to two). Entry fee of $35 is not refundable for any reason. One image (jpeg) per submission except for 3D artwork, for which 2 views of the work is permitted.
- Any work previously accepted into an Arlington Artists Alliance juried show (Gallery Underground/Gallery Clarendon) will not be accepted.
- All works must be original, entirely the work of the artist and not based on or incorporating copyrighted work by another artist or photographer unless the artist has obtained permission to use copyrighted work. This also applies to computer-generated and digital work.
- No giclees prints, or other reproductions except photography and hand-pulled works will be accepted.
- Two-dimensional work may not exceed 60 inches high and 48 inches wide nor weigh more than 50 lbs. 3D work may not exceed 6 feet on its longest side and must weigh less than 75 lbs.
- By entering artwork(s) in this show, artist agrees that these works are currently available – not in any other show, on any online or other sales venues or otherwise unavailable to deliver to show if accepted. Artist agrees that any accepted work will be available to deliver by deadline specified and will be removed from any online sales venue until close of the show.
- Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work, alter a work, change the sales price, or withdraw or remove a work after it has been accepted.
- All work must be for sale, priced at $100 and up. No work accepted and hung in the show may be removed by the artist until close of the show. Work is considered consigned to Gallery Underground, who will be the exclusive seller of the work for the duration of the show.
- All two-dimensional works on paper must be matted under glass or Plexiglas.
- Photographs printed on stretched canvas will not be accepted. Photographs framed under glass or Plexiglas must be matted. Photos mounted on metal and photos under glass without a frame are acceptable and do not need a mat, as long as the backs are wired for hanging. Photographs should be signed, either on the mat or on the photo. Please email curators if you have any other method of displaying photography.
- Works on gallery-wrapped canvas must have sides painted with no staples showing.
- All work must be ready for presentation with the appropriate framing and hanging wire. Framing standards will be sent upon acceptance of your work. Work not meeting these framing standards will not be hung.
- Gallery Underground reserves the right to refuse any entry which does not match the images submitted or meet the criteria enumerated here. $35 entry fee is not refundable in the event work is rejected.
A C C E P T E D W O R K S:
Artworks will be hand delivered between 10am-12pm EST Saturday July 31, 2021or shipped to arrive by 12pm Saturday July 31. Work may be shipped/delivered early – note our hours are 10am – 6pm EST Monday – Friday for shipped work, except for the Saturday of Receiving, July 31, 2021 when we will be open from 10am-12pm EST. Make sure your shipped work will arrive during gallery open hours. Any work not received by 12pm EST Saturday, July 31, 2021 will not be hung. Any work not picked up within 30 days of the date of pickup (Saturday, August 28, 2021) will become the property of Gallery Underground.
Notification of accepted or unaccepted work will be via email as early as possible after deadline, but no later than Monday, July 5, 2021. Sales will be promoted. Gallery Underground will retain a 30% commission on all sales (20% for current Arlington Artists Alliance members).
P U B L I C I T Y D I S C L A I M E R:
Gallery Underground reserves the right to use entry photographs for purposes of publicity, documentation, and promotion.
L E G A L A G R E E M E N T:
Submission of entry constitutes an agreement on the part of the artist to comply with all of the conditions and terms contained in this prospectus. No work accepted into this agreement may be withdrawn prior to the close of the exhibition. All decisions of the Juror are final. No refunds will be granted for noncompliance with this agreement.
A B O U T T H E J U R O R:
Lois Ward Wolford is a prize winning artist, workshop teacher, demonstrator, and signature member of the National Watercolor Society, Philadelphia Watercolor Society and the Baltimore Watercolor Society. She is known for her use of color to create mood in her paintings, with favorite subjects being figures and cityscapes. Her figure paintings suggest a voyeuristic point of view, and her cityscapes aim at capturing a moment in time. She is a past Workshop Chairman, Mid Atlantic Chairman,Vice President and life member of the Baltimore Watercolor Society. Lois has works in both private and corporate collections in the US and abroad. Her paintings have received many awards in National and International Exhibitions including the National Watercolor Society, Georgia WCS, Adirondack WCS, Philadelphia WCS, USA WCS, Mid-Atlantic Watercolor Exhibition, Pennsylvania WCS and the North American Miniature Show.
Curators: Sandi Parker and Steena Fullmer, email@example.com, phone: 571-483-0652
aldonado, Elisabeth Hudgins, Deborah Taylor, Kat Jamieson, and Elise Ritter
About Gallery Underground
An Arlington Artists Alliance Gallery
Crystal City Shops @ 2100 Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA 22202
Managing Director of Galleries